A booklet “Wodonga 1951” was produced to coincide with “Back to Wodonga” celebrations.
The event celebrated jointly the 50th anniversary of Australian Federation and the one hundredth anniversary of receipt in Melbourne of the news that the Imperial Parliament had passed an Act granting independent government to Victoria as a separate colony.
In an article a couple of years ago I listed some of the advertisers in the booklet, here are more to remind you and/or give you a picture of our town at the time.
McDonald’s Terminus Hotel – High class accommodation & meals.
Walsh’s Wine Café (Formerly Costa’s).
Erlandsen & Son Grocer & Draper. (Formerly Lincoln & Butterworth, before that Whan’s Supply Store, and before that McLean Bros).
Supreme Surgical Hosiery Co. Division of Greatorex Pty Ltd. Manufacturers of foundation garments, athletic supports and suspensories.
K. McLennan & Co General Drapers & Mercers in premises previously owned by Alf Hodge, a plumber and electrician.
Toole’s Motors – Agents for White Trucks – Crossley & Prefect Refrigerators, and Dealers in use cars.
Parnaby’s Shoe Store. McIntyre’s Pharmacy, opposite the Shire Hall.
McSwiney – Chemist – Mr McSwiney, who has been in this business for over fifty years, will be glad to welcome any old resident who may wish to call on him.
The Handi Store. One of the longest established Grocery Stores in Wodonga, was conducted for many years by Mr. A. Awburn and now is a progressive modern mixed business. Proprietor R. Warren.
The Margaret Rose Frock Salon, Proprietress, Mrs J. Stansfield. Bill Marshall, hairdressing.
Butchers, R. S. Jensen and B. Wilcox. Bill Marshall, hairdressing.
B & B Café and Dempster’s Café. Birrell Bros, Bakers and Pastry cooks. M. M. Hall & Son, Bakers.
Wodonga Farmers’ Supply Co.
Wiltshire & Rattray, Plumbers and Hardware Merchants. Established after WW2 in premises previously occupied by the late Mr A. Turton.
Hartwig’s Corner Cash Store, next Gowlands Garage. Selling paint, ice-cream, soft drink, groceries, fruit, vegetables and cooked meats.
Railway Hotel, H. D. Trethowan Proprietor, who had taken over from Mr. Gordon Strang in 1949.
L.T. Diffey, Children’s wear, ladies lingerie & hosiery, haberdashery.
Wodonga’s population was 4,237 in 1947, and 5,359 in 1954.