Wodonga Water Tower was officially opened in December 1924 and the following statistics were provided.
The total height of the Wodonga water tower and tank is 103 feet, but three feet of this is below ground level. The structure rests upon a block of solid concrete two feet deep and 30 feet in diameter. Under this is a foundation of sand fillings 4 feet deep.
The cylindrical tower is 77 ft. 4 inches high and 20 feet in diameter, the wall having a thickness of eight inches. There are three floors, each having a window. The landings are of concrete, 4 inches thick. Rising through the centre is an octagonal concrete column 22 inches in diameter, which assists in supporting the tank. Near the bottom of the tank is a balcony, 3 ft. 6 ins. wide.
Having a height of 22 ft. 8 in. and a diameter of 27 ft. the tank will hold 75,000 gallons of water, which is estimated to be the daily requirement of the town. The thickness of the tank bottom is 12 inches; that of the wall tapers from 7 inches at the base to 4 inches at the top.
The whole is of reinforced concrete, and the necessary care having been used to obtain an even foundation there is no ground for the alarm which some have expressed. 180 c.yards of reinforced concrete were used in the construction of the tower and 70 c.yards in the tank bowl. In addition 7 tons of steel were used.
The tank will be supplied by an 8 inch pipe. The pumping will be done at the Murray River, but a ball valve at the top of the tank will automatically stop the pump when capacity has been reached. This is the third highest elevated tank in Australia – the higher two are in South Australia – and its capacity is exceeded only by that of a South Australian tank.
The contract price was £3,000. Water was later pumped from Wodonga Creek. The water tower was decommissioned in 1959 when water started pumping from the new reservoir on Huon Hill which is where the main storage is today.