Wodonga & District Express 1966 Pt2

March – Volunteer firemen in Wodonga have been considerably concerned over the past week with the huge increase in false alarms since the introduction of automatic dialling telephones

Council to call tenders for the reconstruction of the present council chambers (constructed in 1956) into a group of additional offices for the staff and a much smaller meeting room for the Council.  The engineer admitted some of the cost could be saved if the Council was prepared to forego some of the “luxury” features such as floor carpeting and new ceiling.

Wodonga Smash Repairs opened in Hovell Street under management of Joe Ratcliffe and workshop in charge of Bill Nash.

April – Six weeks after the introduction of decimal currency confusion was still rife amongst young and old.  Someone commented “They should have waited until all the old people were dead before they introduced the new money.”

May – Mr Hopcraft of the Rose Cake Shop in High Street complained to the Council that permission was being given to three street stalls each week on the footpath near his premises. These sold cakes for fundraising, and were taking business away from him.

Tooles Motors was on notice to remove their kerbside petrol pumps to make way for additional parking bays in High Street.

June – A newer stronger fire siren was to go onto the fire tower. It has a range of three or four miles and will overcome the problem of some brigade members not hearing it.

An impressive console pipe organ was used for the first time at St John’s Church.  It took four men three days and nights to install the organ and its pipes.

Federal Member for Indi, Mac Holten revealed to the Wodonga Shire Council that Wodonga is now considered the fastest growing town in the whole of Australia.

15 July – For the first time in living memory of most residents real snow, not sleet, fell in Wodonga. Early Wodonga history recalled a snow fall in the town in the 1890’s.

The old Lands Department office in High Street between Wodonga Pharmacy and Stiff and Gannon was demolished to make way for new shop premises.